Thursday, May 24, 2012

Have I mentioned that I have the best job?

All year, I have been convinced that I have the best LVC placement around... or at least my perfect placement.  The end of each week is so rewarding.  It is truly amazing to work in a place that cooks and delivers nearly 10,000 meals every week to people who are sick in the Twin Cities area.  That is a lot of food! And a lot of love poured into those meals.  I feel like I get to incorporate my skills and interests into my job on a daily basis. I am in charge of a lot of details, I get to organize groups of people to pack meals each morning, I am in charge of celebrating client birthdays (you all know how much I love birthdays!), I interact with the most wonderful volunteers and staff all day long, and am learning an incredible amount about cooking, food, nutrition and how those things come together to help us lead healthier, more sustainable lifestyles. What a great thing to take with me when I leave Open Arms!

Beyond the day to day work that I find so rich, we have amazing opportunities for outreach and fundraising...which takes the form of the Moveable Feast each May!  Moveable Feast is an event where we have 400 guests join us for a night of drinks, silent auctions, games, limo rides, and 5 course meals at restaurants across the Twin Cities.  We made nearly $250,000 at this fundraiser, which translates to tens of thousands of meals that we can deliver.  The theme this year was 1920's...here are a few favorite photos from the night:
 friends Jeff, Jeanne and Ellen
 Some of my crazy staff!
 My favorite co-worker ladies
 Ellen and I are both in year-long volunteer programs at Open Arms--it's great to have someone who knows just what I'm doing...and someone to have so much fun with!
All in all, it was a fabulous night and a great representation of the teamwork, joy, silliness and pride that comes in the work that we do.  So happy to work for Open Arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment