Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Home makover: Wellstone Addition


The funny thing with LVC is that you move into a house that comes completely furnished and is decorated with the inside jokes of the LVC volunteers from previous years.  For the first couple of weeks, it has felt like I have been living in someone else’s house…so this week I proposed that my roommates and I spend our Monday Community Night having a cleaning and redecorating party! The other funny thing about being in LVC is that you have no budget for home decorating. So, using things we found around the house, here is how we decorated!  I was feeling very crafty all weekend, so I’m thankful my roommates put up with me.  Here’s a quick tour of our house!


Emily tackled the pantry. Notice all the good bulk foods and home canned treats!  
Labels for the pantry
Our landlords gave us some leftover jars, so we got our spices out of their little bags in the drawer, hung a rack and arranged our spices in the kitchen.
 
 For $5, we purchased a chalk board to use as a memo board. I also found some old magazines and made a "Wellstone" sign, since our house is named after the Wellstone's.
  
For those who remember my last room, I no longer have a 9 foot by 4 foot wall of photos... thank you tacky wall paper. So instead, a few of my favorite pictures now line my fancy dresser mirror!
Our garden gives us lots of colorful center pieces this time of year.
 Since I had all my scrapbooking stuff out, I ended up making lots of greeting cards! Here's a few favorites.
We needed a way to organize our mail, so here's our homemade filing mail system!
While flipping through old magazines, I decided to make a collage... so I found fun patterns to cut out the Minneapolis skyline and the greener side of the city.  Collage art is free!

1 comment:

  1. Love all the little touches! And the pantry= my favorite! Yummy canned treats look and sound delicious. Also a favorite is your 'you've got mail' creation. So cute and clever! Who wouldn't want to look through that each day just hoping for some mail!

    ReplyDelete