Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The North Shore

When Mom visited me several weeks ago, we met up with our Idaho friends, the Wards.  Rachel Ward was one of my best friends in Pre-K at Hope Lutheran back in Idaho Falls.  They moved to Minnesota when we were 6 years old, and I hadn't seen her since!
Rachel and I in kindergarten.
Rachel and I after college!

Upon moving to Minneapolis, I connected with her again on facebook and after visiting with her parents in September, they invited me to join them on a weekend up North!  So this past weekend, I took a road trip with Scott and Becky to visit Rachel in Duluth, Minnesota, where she is now a grad-student.  We rented a cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior and spent some quality time catching up on the last 16 years of our lives!  It is amazing that we have so much in common after all these years: biology majors, studied abroad in Rwanda/Uganda, learned Norwegian, did marching band in high school...I love it!



 
Over the weekend, we drove along the shore and spent the day at several state parks, and walked around lots of waterfalls. It was beautiful!  We had bright sunshine and blue skies, but you can definitely tell that we are entering fall as it was really windy and cold.  I think we missed the peak day for fall colors by about a week, but the colors of the leaves were still beautiful on the ground, that is for sure!  It felt almost as if we were at the ocean.  Sandy beaches and water that touches the horizon--who would guess that we are in the middle of the US? 

Jon (Rachel's boyfriend), Rachel, me, Scott and Becky
  
Split Rock lighthouse
We also enjoyed time back at the cabin.  Highlights include: an hour session in the sauna next door (my first sauna experience!), playing games until 1 in the morning both nights--Yatzee and Rummikub, both played more intensely than I have played in a very long time...but we had such a blast!  And trying mead for the first time--why hasn't anyone introduced me to honey-wine before?!  

I am enjoying building my Minnesota connections, and re-connecting with people from my past.  This weekend was a perfect retreat to spend some time outside of the city, while seeing a new part of Minnesota and spending time with old friends!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like you had fun. I loved the pictures to go along with your descriptions. Scott & Becky are so nice and I'm glad you reconnected with Rachel. You girls had so much fun playing together every week when you were preschoolers and in Kindergarten. BFF's! Lucky you to know so many nice Minnesotans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the North Shore!! I went to school in Minnesota (Gustavus Adolphus College) and my room mate was from Duluth. Anyway, I'm originally from Washington State. Now I'm doing LVC too in Port Huron MI. How fun! I'm glad I found your blog! Be nice to Minnesota for me I miss it a lot!

    ReplyDelete