Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Snow adventures

If I have learned anything about Minnesotans this year--they love to talk about the weather. They especially enjoy talking about weather records..."This is the 4th warmest Thursday in the month of January that we have had in 26 years!" (who actually keeps track of those things?!)  I have gathered however, that surviving such extreme temperature changes and snowfalls gives big points to one's character.   Over the course of the fall, I was continually warned about how I probably wouldn't survive the winter--it's not in my west coast blood. But now into January, we are having one of the mildest winters in several years, and I am indeed surviving! 
 
 
I got really nice snow boots (thanks mom!) and a great new coat that keeps me nice and warm at the sub-zero mornings at the bus stop.   While, we have only had about 3 inches of snow on the ground at any one time, I have been able to participate in some wonderful winter outings! 
These are a few January highlights:
 
Crashed Ice Event: The Twin-Cities were the first American hosts to this crazy downhill ice skating event.  Athletes from Canada and many countries in Europe came into compete, and Rebecca and I went on the last night of the finals to watch.  About 80,000 Minnesotans went to this event which started at the base of the St. Paul Cathedral. We watched teams of four skaters race at speeds up to 38 miles an hour as they raced up and down hills and around turns on the track. It was quite a sight!
 
This past Saturday, my neightborhood hosted an event called the Art Sled Rally.  Individuals and families from the Powderhorn neighborhood decorated sleds and 3-D extensions all with different themes to race in Powderhorn Park.  About 300 people came to watch and cheer on the sled riders. It was such a fun afternoon!  I love being a part of a community that comes together for such fun events.
Here are a few of my favorite sleds:
 

 
 
On Sunday, my housemates and I went out to Medicine Lake for an Art Shanties event.  Ice fishing shanties were set up on the lake, each with different themes.  We learned about ice fishing, raced around on bikes with ice skates for wheels, participated in shanties dance party, and enjoyed a beautiful sunny day on the lake.  We had such a blast this weekend, and while I am a little bummed that we haven't been getting much snow this year, I am very thankful for events like these that bring us outside to enjoy the winter weather!
 
 Happy Winter to you all! Hugs from a snowy-ish Minnesnowta!

love, Caroline

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I want to live in Minneapolis during the winter (at least this winter)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great start to 2012! Do you think you will get big snows this spring?

    ReplyDelete