Monday, March 19, 2012

A Sunny March

February came and went with some work stress and cold weather, but brought a wonderful March!  The first weekend in March, we had our 5-day LVC spring retreat.  A group of 20 Twin Cities volunteers met up with the Omaha group in Webster City, Iowa--were we stayed at a little retreat center a tiny farm town.  We left a snowy morning in Minneapolis and 3 hours later, found ourselves in the sun on a 60 degree day! Over the retreat, we had several LVC workshops--on community, sustainability, anti-racism and heterosexism--full of lots of great learning and discussion. We also had a lot of free time--a highlight was our lip sync competition between houses.  We picked our song just 3 days before, and with a lot of practice, we were able to pull together a well-choreographed dance to "Joyful Joyful" from Sister Act 2.  90's clothes, gospel music, it was a winner. Stay tuned for the video on facebook!

 The next weekend was Mom's birthday!  Dad was flying through Minneapolis home from a business trip, so we were both sad to miss her day.  But I was so excited to show Dad around Minneapolis. 7 months ago, he moved me into my house and helped me get settled, but this time we had lots of time to explore, and I finally have lots of places to show off to him! 
 




 The best part of the weekend was the fact that we set record temperatures for March--it was sunny and 75 degrees the whole weekend! (I have a sunburn to prove it!)
 I made an itinerary for our weekend, and had lots of fun coffee shops, restaurants and walks on our list.  We walked 18 miles worth of Minneapolis and St. Paul trails around the lakes, the river and downtown.  I can definitely feel it at the end of the weekend! 

 Dad took my housemates out for dinner on St. Patrick's Day for pizza and beer.  It was fun to introduce Dad to my Minneapolis friends, and we all had a great time!
 We had such a fun time catching up and exploring, and I think we are both exhausted from such a full weekend! I feel really blessed to have such a support from back home as I am living away this year. I have been learning so much and love sharing that with everyone back home.  Thanks for the visit, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment